After 36 years of service at the National Association of REALTORS® — 11 of which were spent at the helm of the organization — CEO Dale Stinton has announced he will retire at the end of 2017, and a search is now underway for his successor.
Stinton became CEO in November 2005 and had previously served as NAR’s chief financial officer and chief information officer, as well as a stint as acting CEO and executive vice president in 1996. He’s credited with growing the association’s influence on many fronts, including the creation of REALTOR® University, the growth of REALTORS® Property Resource, which is a national database of real property, and implementing partnerships and investments as president of Second Century Ventures, NAR’s investment arm. Stinton also spearheaded efforts to drive member participation in the REALTOR® Party, which lobbies for housing-related issues to local, state, and congressional leaders.
“It was an honor to lead the nation’s largest and most influential trade association in partnership with NAR’s elected leaders, and I’m incredibly proud of what we have helped the association and our members achieve over the past decade as CEO,” Stinton said in a statement. “My 36 years at NAR have been challenging but always rewarding; the time is now for a new leader to take the reins.”
A member search committee has been appointed to work with executive recruitment firm Heidrick & Struggles to find candidates to replace Stinton. The member search committee includes:
- NAR 2015 President Chris Polychron, ABR, GRI, Hot Springs 1st Choice Realty, Hot Springs, Ark., chair
- NAR 2003 President Cathy Whatley, CRS, GRI, Buck & Buck, Inc., Jacksonville, Fla., vice chair
- Doug Hinderer, NAR senior vice president, Chicago, staff executive
- Jeff Barnett, Alain Pinel, REALTORS®, Los Gatos, Calif.
- Tray Bates, CCIM, CIPS, Bates Commercial, LLC, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Brian Copeland, CIPS, CRS, Village Real Estate Services, Nashville, Tenn.
- Julie DeLorenzo, ABR, CRS, Keller Williams Realty, Boise, Idaho
- Travis Kessler, Texas Association of REALTORS® CEO, Austin, Texas
- Mike McGrew, CIPS, CRB, McGrew Real Estate, Inc., Lawrence, Kan.
- Mike Pappas, CCIM, CRB, The Keyes Company, Miami
- Beth L. Peerce, Prime Time Properties, Los Angeles
- JoAnne Poole, CRS, GRI, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices, Baltimore
- Diane Ruggiero, former CEO of the Kansas City Regional Association of REALTORS®, The Villages, Fla.
- Joel Singer, California Association of REALTORS® CEO, Los Angeles
- Tom Stevens, CRB, CRS, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, Vienna, Va.
- Rebecca Thomson, ABR, CIPS, @properties, Chicago
“Dale Stinton has had a long and distinguished career at NAR and has made immense contributions to the association, and we thank him for his service,” Polychron says. “This continues to be a dynamic time for the association and the industry, and I am confident that we will find and hire the best candidate to position NAR for long-term success as it continues the important role of advocating for REALTOR® members, consumers, and the industry.”
Stinton will continue to serve as CEO until his successor is named. The new CEO is expected to be announced before the end of 2017.
Source: National Association of REALTORS®