Samsung announced it is temporarily postponing production of new versions to its recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, as fears of fires from the devices’ batteries continue even on the replacement versions. It’s a major setback for a company that continues to struggle with the industry’s largest recall ever.
On Sept. 2, Samsung had issued a recall of 2.5 million Note 7 reports over reports that the devices’ batteries could overheat and potentially catch fire. Samsung then said the problem was solved and allowed consumers to trade in their phones for a new one.
Then, reports surfaced that the replacement phones were now catching fire. A Southwest Airlines flight was evacuated last week after a Note 7 began smoking inside the plane. Major mobile U.S. carriers – such as AT&T and T-Mobile — announced Sunday they would stop issuing Note 7 devices due to safety concerns.
That prompted the world’s largest smartphone maker to halt production again, citing consumer safety reasons as well as in cooperation with authorities in the U.S. and China.
Samsung said that it was “temporarily adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule in order to take further steps to ensure quality and safety matters.” Samsung officials say they hope to provide an update within a month.
Source: “Samsung Halts Production of Note 7 as Battery Problems Linger,” The New York Times (Oct. 10, 2016)